It’s the end of January in the winelands of Stellenbosch, which means that it's a scorching hot summer with temperatures soaring into the high 30’s. Sometimes air-conditioning just does not keep you cool enough and to survive these scorching hot days you need something with a bit of a kick to cool you of.... this is why you we are introducing you to the gin and tonic granita! Our ice cream trader at the market, owner, producer and Executive Chef Janine Van Zyl of Cold Gold Artisan Ice Cream & Sorbet was kind enough to provide us with this easy to make life changing recipe:
Easy to make Gin & Tonic Granita:
130ml gin (best you can afford ;) )
500ml tonic water
500ml Sugar syrup
1 vanilla pod's seeds
1. Whisk everything together until thoroughly mixed
2. Placed in a metal flat pan or baking pan
3. Freeze for 1 hour. Break the ice with a fork.
4. Freeze for another 30 minutes, break the ice and repeat until granita consistency is reached.
5. Serve with a thick straw or eat with a spoon with your favourite people ;)
If this is too much effort... we have a lot of life savers at the market to make your day extra cool: pop in for a scoop or two of the best ice cream & sorbet from Cold Gold (yes there are banting, vegan and LCHF options too!), an ice cold craft beer, chilled wine or a refreshing crafted gin cocktail.
The Triple Three of Blaauwklippen Vineyards will work great with this recipe.